The area where Ilion is located was first settled by Palatine Germans under the Burnetsfield Patent around 1725. Settlers first established residencies along Steeles Creek, which flows through the current village into the Mohawk River. Many mills were set up along the creek. After the American Revolution, a small community was set up in the area named New London. This area of the village still has buildings which use the name London.
The community began to flourish starting around 1816 when Eliphalet Remington created his first gun, which would later grow into the Remington Arms company. The community was even further advanced with the completion of the Erie Canal in 1825.
In 1843 a post office was desired so a name for the settlement needed to be chosen. Remington rejected the use of his name as a name for the village, and it was eventually named Ilion. A popular, yet unverified rumor is that the application said Illium, but due to a misspelling or bad penmanship was interpreted as Ilion.
The Village of Ilion was incorporated in 1852. Ilion is one of only twelve villages in New York still incorporated under a charter, the other villages having incorporated or re-incorporated under the provisions of Village Law.
The First United Methodist Church, Thomas Richardson House, Remington Stables, and United States Post Office are listed on the National Register of Historic Places.
Remington Arms Company, Inc. was founded in 1816 by Eliphalet Remington in Ilion, New York, as E. Remington and Sons. It is the oldest company in the United States which still makes its original product, and is the oldest continuously operating manufacturer in North America. It is the only U.S. company which produces both firearms and ammunition domestically, and is the largest U.S. producer of shotguns and rifles. After a 12-year absence in the handgun market, Remington announced the Model 1911 R1 in April 2010, slated to be available through select independent dealers beginning June 2010. The last handgun produced by Remington Arms, the Model XP-100R, ceased production in 1998. Its products are distributed in over 60 foreign countries, making its base wider than those of its competitors.
Remington has also developed or adopted more cartridges than any other gun maker or ammunition manufacturer in the world.
Remington is part of the Freedom Group, owned by Cerberus Capital Management.
HIGH SCHOOL: PRESENT DAY
Their mascot is now, “the Thunder.”